Tuesday, April 22, 2008

D-Republican and Bank of the United States

My research is why Democratic-Republican changed their opinion about a National Bank and accepted it. When I research this subject, I found that especially Thomas Jefferson abhorred BUS(Bank of the United States) enormously calling it "one of the most deadly hostility existing, against the principles and form of our Constitution." However, when James Madison took office in 1809, he accepted and renew the Bank of the United States in 1816 even though protracting debates were going on for 5 years.
It really seems ironical to me when James Madison actually changed his opinion about a National Bank. However, I think we need to think about "domestic situation, Constitutional debates, Public opinion, Election of 1816" so that we can figure out why James Madison made a decision.

No comments: