Monday, April 21, 2008

The 18th Amendment

My topic is the 18th amendment. My question is about how our country came to the 18th amendment. I am basically finished with the research. I was disappointed that the main book I wanted to use was checked out in the library, but life goes on. I have found the topic interesting. I selected it because my grandfather was a sheriff of a rural area south of Atlanta during prohibition and I have heard stories of his "liquor still busting days." Actually he busted a high school friends grandfather - we found the old still with ax marks in it.
It is interesting that the government decided to regulate morals for the country.

2 comments:

Tatiana said...

The government has regulated morals to some degree since the nation was founded; the process continues today with "vice laws" banning prostitution, drugs, gambling, "indecent exposure", and many others.

Regarding the 18th Amendment, I believe it marched pretty much hand-in-hand with Women's Suffrage, as women were far more likely to vote in favor of Prohibition than men.

My own personal interest in Prohibition has always been the tremendous effect it had on promoting organized crime...a lesson I think we should learn from today.

cwscott35 said...

To be able to look in to the like of the organized crime you really need to look in to what al copon did during the prohibition period.